Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Horny little thing!

Well I hope I won't get censored by that title.  It is just about a little Horned Lizard!  It is also called a "horny toad", and inhabits the Sonoran Desert and other places as well..  This one was  next to our saguaro next to the garage.  They eat big black and red ants -- which is good, as they are numerous underneath the birdfeeder outside my window.  Paul, our Insect Eradicator, is the one who saw it, and is holding it for my picture.  He grew up in Santa Maria, Ca. where he used to catch them as a kid.  This is where Ron grew up also, and he also used to catch them as a kid.  Small world When they get really frightened and feel the need to protect themselves they squirt blood out of their eyes.  Yes, that would do it! 

Well several of you have asked if I have seen Wylie lately, and it was several months since he last pranced through here in front of my window.  That is until just now.  He just passed through  -- on a mission.  He came across between my labyrinth and the driveway, and kept on going alongside the driveway.  He is bigger, I must say!!  Unlike that scrawny bobcat from 2 days ago.  The roadrunner came by again last night again.  I think he forgot he already had both courses of dinner the day before. 

Soon it will be time to write about the Nopals of the prickly pear cacti, as they are ripening now.  Signing off for now, Peju of the Desert

No comments:

Post a Comment