Thursday, July 3, 2014

Lots of cactus activity!

Since I have been away to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN to be a caregiver for my brother Steve who had a liver transplant on May 19.  This was a huge medical feat!  He had to stay in Rochester for 4 weeks after transplant and go to Clinic 2-4 times a week.  Our cousin and wife, Don and Mary, welcomed us as part of their extended family during the stay, including Steve's dear dog!  This is him and me the following week at a street fair, and with more cousins in suburb of Minneapolis.     

Our sister went for 2 weeks after I was there a bit over 2 weeks.  He is doing very well back home in Clear Lake, Iowa; and just got medical clearance to go back to work. 
Well I digress...The morning I left I had to chase away the javelinas from the cactus next to the driveway.  Usually they don't hear well or scare easily, but I let out a couple yips ... the kind that cowboys yell on a cattle roundup!  I learned this from watching John Wayne and Little Joe.  That scared them all right.  They went across the driveway and stopped, waiting for the rest of their herd -- which was a couple little babies.  They were actually cute!!  But you should also know, that when the javelinas have their babies with them they are very protective... and dangerous to others.  I did not get a picture as I just wanted them out of here!  The neighbor just behind us took this pic of several of them under her birdbath. They just make themselves at home. 
Before my medical sabbatical the Tucson cacti were in full glory.  I took so many pictures of them, as they are so beautiful and different.  It was as if they were each fashionistas vying for top place in the Best of Show! 
June was a bumper crop of flowers for the local Saguaros.  They had way more this year than in previous years...their way of propagating themselves. 


After they flower -- for only 1 day!--the green fruit ripens and bursts open enticing birds of all types to partake.  And they drop to the ground providing a meal for the local inhabitants...bunnies, ground squirrels, desert tortoise, quail, cardinals, curve-billed thrasher, gila woodpecker, cactus wren, greater roadrunner, and those are just the ones I have seen.  At night the bats also feed on them, but that is after I go to sleep.  Also the larger animals also eat the fruit and disperse the seeds...nature's way of propagating the saguaros, and other cacti as well.  The little black seeds inside are in a red syrup which is sweet.  When they are all opening the aroma is wonderful                                  
               
                             
                                                                           
I have to leave now,  and hopefully we get ahead of a Haboob as we drive up to Phoenix to fly to Bay Area for the 4th of July weekend.  This Haboob warning is for I 10 from 2:00pm till 8pm today.  We are leaving at 1:00!  and going on I 10 -- of course.  This all from our Monsoon beginning -- today!!  So wish us luck and safe passage to Valentinaland! 
Till next time,  Peju of the Desert
 

No comments:

Post a Comment